Charles J. Thurmond Youth Art Scholarship Awards
- $15,000 of scholarships are awarded each year by the Kiwanis Club of Gainesville; $5,000 in each of 3 categories - Writing, Performing Arts, Visual Arts
- $2,500 for 1st place
- $1,500 for 2nd place
- $1,000 for 3rd place
- Performing Arts Showcase is held at the Kiwanis Annual Banquet at the Chattahoochee Country Club in March. The winner represents the Kiwanis Club of Gainesville at the Georgia District Music Showcase, where they compete for additional scholarship awards.
- Visual Arts Showcase is held in partnership with the Quinlan Visual Arts Center's Youth Art Month in March. Winners represent the Kiwanis Club of Gainesville at the Georgia District Art Showcase, where they compete for additional awards and scholarships.
- Writing Arts Competition is judged by university professors in the region.
- The application process is in the Spring of each year. The scholarship fund is administered by the North Georgia Community Foundation.
- The Gainesville Kiwanis Club provides a dictionary to every 3rd grade student in Hall County
- This project began in 2005
- To date, nearly 50,000 dictionaries have been personally presented by Kiwanians
Youth Christmas Projects
- Sponsor Friends of Recovery Christmas Party
- Purchase gifts from Santa for over 300 kids in December
- "Angel Tree" gifts for kids in families involved with Accountability Courts
- In 2019 our club provided Christmas gifts for 14 children from 4 families who were not served by another agency
- In addition, a $150 gift card was given for family holiday meals
- Reading to children in local elementary schools to help enhance their interest in reading and development of reading skills before 3rd grade
- Participated in the 2019 inaugural Kiwanis Read Across Georgia Day